1. We are a group of vapers dedicated to all things rebuildable. We have a solid user base of experienced rebuilders who enjoy sharing our knowledge and learning from each other. We have a healthy mix of cloud chasers, flavor chasers, temp control, and kanthal builders. We also have a broad base of knowledge on mods, batteries, and toppers. Please consider joining us and contributing to our community. Whether you are here to teach or to learn, we welcome your participation and look forward to chasing that perfect vape together.

The DNA 75 C thread

Discussion in 'Regulated Mods' started by trlrtrash13, Feb 27, 2018.

1. trlrtrash13

trlrtrash13 The trash of thy trailer.
    Staff Member

I know @Snert has one of these in the same mod I have. Lost Vape Mirage. I've gotta be honest here. I don't love this chip. It has a bug in it too, I think. To duplicate it do the following. Click on settings, go down to the key icon and click on it. Scroll down to the "Unlock Seq" line and click on it. On mine, it completely locks the screen. The mod won't do anything until you restart it. Minor issue, of course, and it could be just mine. That aside, here are my issues.

3 buttons. Why? It complicates things in my opinion. So, you put a new atomizer on. New is +, old is -, and on standard DNA chips the fire button locks it in. Not on this one. The middle button locks it in. Is that necessary? I don't see why, and it complicates things for me. I hit the fire button and get the Old or New screen again. It takes me a time or two to figure out why it just won't work.

Now, for the positives. It looks cooler. You can design your own color theme, or find one online that works for you. I don't wanna minimize that. It is cool. It's not entirely gimmicky either. It can really add beauty to a mod, and because of the options for setting up a screen, it can add functionality as well. I like this part of it. But...

Battery life. I don't have a standard DNA 75 single battery mod, but I expected more out of this one with the 20700 batteries. I'm only vaping a single coil at 40 watts and I get about 6-7 hours out of the setup. I expected better. Could be my high expectations though, as I'm used to vaping my Squape R at around 30 watts on a DNA 200 at 30 watts and getting around 20 hours on a lipo. So maybe I had high expectations on this function, but I expected more.

So... this is a bit of a downer on the chip. Just my opinion. I would appreciate an "upper" reply if someone has it. Oh yeah, also you need to download the new escribe, updating your existing one won't give you the ability to work with this chip. You need escribe 2.0 for this one. But here's where I'm coming from. VooPoo uses the Gene chip. It's not as good as the DNA 200/250 chips. However, IMO, for a fraction of the price, it's a much better alternative to the DNA 75C. Disagree? Please, by all means, give your feedback. I prefer buying American, but I was disappointed with this purchase.

Snert likes this.
  2. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

Dunno if I'd call this an "upper" post, but I'll throw in my 2 cents worth...

I did try set "Unlock Seq" exercise that @trlrtrash13 was discussing and, at first, ran into the same issue. What I figured out is that once the sequence has been "entered" (3-clicks, 4-clicks, etc) you have to let the sequence entry time out to lock it in. In comparison to most other things on the chip, not very intuitive.

The interface for the DNA 75C (from what I've heard) came from a question asked to the design staff at Evolv. To parahprase... "How do you lock the resistance on a DNA XX?". What Management found surprising is the guys that designed the boards struggled to identify the procedure for a given DNA board. The DNA 75C interface was an attempt to resolve that issue... create a new consistent interface to be used on all future Evolv boards AND to allow some of the functionality of EScribe (like inputing power and material curves) directly on the device (thus the three button interface). Then... the FDA happened, and thus all we have is the DNA 75C.

Regarding the batteries: This is my only 2X700 single battery mod. I have a dual battery 21700 mod and a dual battery 20700 mod but only the dual 20700 mod is a DNA board and it's not a DNA 75C. I do have a dual 18650 battery DNA75C mod that I get pretty darned good life out of, but I'm vaping that with a Kanthal built atomizer at 15.5w versus the others I'm running at 30w but with TC set at around 430°F. Not really an "apples to apples" comparison situation.

There are two things that, I believe, have relevance to this situation. We tend to think of batteries in "mAh", when what we actually need to do is thing of batteries in Wh (Watt Hours). This especially applies to situations where there are dual batteries involved (serial or parallel).

Let's take a iJoy 20700 (factory specs: nominal 3.7v @ 3000mAh). This gets us to 11.1Wh using https://milliamps-watts.appspot.com. Now, compare that to my dual 18650 VTC5 (nominal 3.7v @ (2600mAh X2)) DNA75C mod. That's X2 since it's a parallel mod (the DNA 75C accommodates "single battery" voltages as a supply voltage). Using the same site, That's 18.5wH. Not double of the iJoy but close. Then we can take my DNA 200 dual serial battery mod with 2 X Samsung NCR20700B. Because they're in series, it could actually be "understood" as (7.4V nominal @ 4000mAh). Now we get 29.6Wh.

So, if I vape the same way (i.e. 30w @430°F) on all three mods... theoretically I'd get the longest run time on the dual serial DNA 200. And that's pretty much what I experience. :)

Just for grins, I'll throw in a 3S multi-cell LiPo pack (2000mah @ 11.1v nominal). We get 22.2wh.

There's also "other factors"... chip efficiency... mod efficiency... "buck" vs "boost". Just in case "buck vs boost" doesn't ring a bell, just suffice it to say that, theoretically/arguably, "buck" is more efficient than "boost". The DNA 200, depending on how it's used, is more efficient "bucking" 7.4v nominal "down" to whatever you're vaping at than a DNA 75 is "boosting" 3.7v nominal "up" to whatever you're vaping at. If you read the Evolv specs, the DNA 250 and DNA 200 boards (97% efficiency / "buck") are more efficient than the DNA 75 and DNA 60 boards (75% efficiency / "boost"). Not saying that "buck"/"boost" plays a 100% role in that, but definitely a contributing factor.

The major "other" to be considered is "how do you vape?" Do you vape (like me) low wattage and TC? Do you have your mod set at 230W, routinely? Most importantly (for the sake of comparisons) do you vape the same way on all devices?

Ok, so all that crap aside... the 2X700 batteries often don't seem to live up to their promise. I've heard many mech mod users say, "they don't hit any harder than my 18650s". So, why are they "better"? My take on them is, they're really not that much different than an 18650 except they can deliver "equal" currents for more mAh. Take one of the current (or the last I heard of anyway) "kings" of the high current 18650s, the Sony VTC4 (which Battery Mooch rates as a 'true' 30A cell). It's realistically rated at ~2000mAh. Now, take a Samsung NCR20700A (which you can never find), also a '30A' battery and it's realistically rated at ~3100mAh. There's a ~50% increase in battery life while still allowing for high discharge currents. Sure, you can get a LG 18650 HG2 rathed at ~3000mAh, but you're trading off battery life and safety since Mooch has rated at that battery at 20A. Depending on your build, you might be overheating (may not catastrophically, but nonetheless overheating it) the cell and impacting battery life.

Ok... enough of this stuff... back to the mod. Umm... I like the weight and size. It does run longer than my Lost Vape single 18650 DNA 75 squonker. I detest the theme that came on it. I like the fact I can run it with an 18650, 20700 or 21700. The battery door latch sucks!!

#2 Snert, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  3. trlrtrash13

Staff Member

I totally agree about the theme that came on it. I suppose they were thinking we could just change it, but it is hideous. They could've done much better. I hated the door latch at first, but I like it now. It's a little wonky but once you get used to it it works.

I guess I have generally compared the DNA to other mods on battery life. For example, the Wismec 3 battery with the Chinese chip vs a DNA with a lipo with similar MAH. Rather than doing the precise calculations, I have noticed that the DNA appears to be much more efficient on battery life. Comparing this mod with my Asmodus single 18650, I was disappointed with the battery life on the Mirage. It's about the same, but it should theoretically be longer with the 20700 battery having a higher rating.

Snert likes this.
  4. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

The difference in battery life could be mod efficiency as well as chipset/battery, so it’s definitely a valid observation.

My gripe with the door latch is that it’s... fiddly. If you’re fast enough with a battery change, the DNA 75C will retain time and date. A little too slow, and you’re resetting it. At least that’s been my experience. The door latch on the Mirage slows me down. I’ve “missed” a time or two and had to reset the clock. Not a huge deal... just annoying for the situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trlrtrash13 likes this.
  5. trlrtrash13

Staff Member

Lol. I hadn't noticed that. Now I looked at the clock on mine and realized the times are way off. You know, I'm going to have to ignore that since I wasn't paying much attention anyway. It does, however, add to the impression that Evolv went more style over substance on this mod. That being said, it's still functional and a damn nice looking mod. I guess, overall, I would have to say I'm satisfied with the purchase as opposed to loving it.

Snert likes this.
  6. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

The DNA 75C is the only chipsets of any of the mods that I own where the date and time will survive a battery change. The mod itself is too small to retain any kind of watch battery type thing to keep the clock circuit running correctly but there appears to be enough residual energy stored in it to accommodate a quick battery swap.

I like the time/date function on the chip since I can’t stand wearing a watch and my cellphone is nothing more than an electronic leash (for work and family). I usually leave it “charging” somewhere so I can vape in peace. Lol

trlrtrash13 likes this.
  7. debinnv

debinnv The Original Crew
    REFugee

My times are always off also and I read that it might be due to the theme you are using. @Snert, what theme are you using on yours?

8. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

I think HCigar used the "default" theme for their VT75C. Lost Vape has their own... weird kind of theme. Randomly colorful and no where near the same organization as the default Evolv theme.

Here it is on one of their Therion DNA 75C squonkers.

debinnv likes this.
  9. debinnv

REFugee

hmm so I wonder if I can use the default H-Cigar theme on my Therion BF 75c. Or is that what you have pictured? The H-cigar theme on the Therion? It would be nice if I could get the clock working. Only problem and yes I know it is weird, but I like to see what my volts are at when firing my coil. Like am I getting 3.8 volts or am I getting 4.2? etc etc. Thanks for the picture and info

#9 debinnv, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  10. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

debinnv likes this.
  11. trlrtrash13

Staff Member

12. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

I’ve looked at a bunch of those. Haven’t picked out anything I like sufficiently better than the default to go through the process of installing.

trlrtrash13 likes this.
  13. debinnv

REFugee

Yes I saw that site also but I'm terrified to install any of them. I mean if just random people are making these, with my luck one of them will brick my mod lol

Snert and trlrtrash13 like this.
  14. trlrtrash13

Staff Member

I've tried a few of them and they all worked fine. I'm running one of them that I customized on mine right now.

Snert and debinnv like this.