1. We are a group of vapers dedicated to all things rebuildable. We have a solid user base of experienced rebuilders who enjoy sharing our knowledge and learning from each other. We have a healthy mix of cloud chasers, flavor chasers, temp control, and kanthal builders. We also have a broad base of knowledge on mods, batteries, and toppers. Please consider joining us and contributing to our community. Whether you are here to teach or to learn, we welcome your participation and look forward to chasing that perfect vape together.

SS And TI wire

Discussion in 'Temp Control' started by Mad Scientist, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist The Original Crew
    REFugee

Ok, you guys have got me curious about this TC business, Now where can I find a source of this 316L SS wire, And perhaps Some Ti wire OTHER than fleabay?

Looking for 26 & 32 Ga.

#1 Mad Scientist, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    Yankifenix likes this.
  2. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

Not sure about the higher gauge wires, but here's what I'm using...

https://originvape.com/product/youde-stainless-steel-316l-wire/

http://www.sweetspotvapors.com/category_s/1854.htm

I had some Ti Grade 1, but it had some funky "goop" on it I could never get cleaned off. I even tried Everclear and the cloth came away dirty every time. I've got both 0.4mm and 0.5mm SSV Ti wire. I use the 0.4mm in tanks and the 0.5mm in drippers as they recommend.

I've had an SS build running in one of my Prodigys for about 3 weeks. The Ti build I but in a Velocity Mini back before Christmas. It's still going strong.

Mad Scientist and Yankifenix like this.
  3. Yankifenix

Yankifenix The Original Crew
    REFugee

What @Snert said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

Now I'm sure there's more cost friendly Ti wire out there. I got the SSV wire since SSV published CSVs for the DNA 200 for their wire.

Mad Scientist likes this.
  5. Mad Scientist

REFugee

Dosen't look like they make it in 32Ga. Guess the Claptons are out:( Possibly a dual 26Ga. sleeper.

6. Mad Scientist

REFugee

I picked up some SS and Ti wire today and I am wondering if the Snow Wolf would recognize the Ti wire? It says that the mod will work with Ni wire but doesn't mention Ti. Wondering just what coil to start with...lol

It is 30 Ga. Ti and I am wondering if I could twist it like some do with Kanthal?

7. Mad Scientist

REFugee

From what I have read Ti will work with it, I'll try it and see:)

8. trlrtrash13

trlrtrash13 The trash of thy trailer.
    Staff Member

There's a conversion chart somewhere for running Ti in Ni mode if the mod doesn't have Ti mode. Probably not an exact science but something close.

9. Mad Scientist

REFugee

I was reading online that some are running it about 140 degrees cooler that Ni or ss builds.

10. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

trlrtrash13 and Mad Scientist like this.
  11. Mad Scientist

REFugee

#11 Mad Scientist, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  12. trlrtrash13

trlrtrash13 The trash of thy trailer.
    Staff Member

Snert and Mad Scientist like this.
  13. Mad Scientist

REFugee

Well just finished building the Veritas with a grade 1 30 Ga.titanium wire 5 wrap twisted dual sleeper and it came out to .16 ohms and vapes nice. Dosen' t seem to want to go over 170 degrees. Got to read up on this a little more, I have to admit I find it very intreaguing :)

Damn...here we go again;)

trlrtrash13 and Snert like this.
  14. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

My experiences running "nickel only" mods with other wire hasn't completely sucked but it hasn't been "solid" either. Part of it is probably my mod/atomizer choice. TC with a single horizontal coil in a Veritas is just about a no-go. Too many hot leg issues.

I have a JD Tech Manta that I had converted to bottom feed. I've had good luck with a standard Manta and TC on other mods. I did try a SS 316L build in a Manta on a DNA 40 based squonker, but the different is just too great between 316L and Ni200. Maybe this weekend I'll carve out some time to try again with a Ti build.

15. Mad Scientist

REFugee

Well I gave it a try and at first it seemed to work well enough, I couldn't keep the mod in TC mode, kept switching back to power. Not sure what is up with that:(

The coils turned out great....

Attached Files:

16. Mad Scientist

REFugee

So far so good, At some point I would like to compare a single Ti wire to the twisted 30 I am using now. The twisted wire seems to be playing nice performance wise, However it seems to be slipping out from under the ground screws from time to time. I am also finding I have to "trick" the SW mod to stay in TC mode every so often. One of these days I gotta try this in the RX 200 that's designed to run Ti.