1. We are a group of vapers dedicated to all things rebuildable. We have a solid user base of experienced rebuilders who enjoy sharing our knowledge and learning from each other. We have a healthy mix of cloud chasers, flavor chasers, temp control, and kanthal builders. We also have a broad base of knowledge on mods, batteries, and toppers. Please consider joining us and contributing to our community. Whether you are here to teach or to learn, we welcome your participation and look forward to chasing that perfect vape together.

Smok Tf-V8

Discussion in 'Temp Control' started by Mad Scientist, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist The Original Crew
    REFugee

Hey all, Got one of these in last week and gave it a run. Found the Q4-V8 head to be nice for a pre built. Decided to go with the RBA head and built a 24Ga dual parallel 6/7 Ti @.15 and surprisingly enough works very well.:)

Also tried those V8-T10 heads and found them to get the tank to hot from the point to point contact ( to high a resistance)between the 510 pin and the head. They also had an "off" taste that I couldn't seem to get rid of. So to the fail box with those.

trlrtrash13 and Snert like this.
  2. trlrtrash13

trlrtrash13 The trash of thy trailer.
    Staff Member

Funny, I just got one of these too. I am enjoying the Q4 head as well, but haven't tried the other one or the rba deck yet.

Mad Scientist likes this.
  3. Mad Scientist

REFugee

Glad to hear that, the RBA dck seems to be working out very well for TC. I still have to put an order in for some of those Q4 heads. I have found the usable life of those is pretty good for what they are. I am using it with a very light flavored juice and I am sure the life would be less with a darker juice. I am not sure about the other head that came with it, looks to be a dual 26ga stainless build, I'll give it a go at some point in the future. Still waiting on the RX300 to come in as that is what I'm planning to plant the tank on

trlrtrash13 likes this.
  4. Mad Scientist

REFugee

Update;
    I had to pull the Ti build out of the TF-V8 RBA deck, Funny as this was the first issue I had with a TI build. A first time for everything I guess. So I revisited a build I had tried before and couldn't get to work, I had a spool of 26/30 SS clapton wire I had been sitting on for awhile and installed a dual 3mm 6/7 in that RBA deck and surprisingly enough it's working like a charm...Go figure.

Another question I got rolling around in the back of my head is I wonder if this new RX300 has stronger circuitry to hold a SS setting instead of popping back into power mode like the RX200 does? It was a royal PITA trying to get a SS build to work on it.

5. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

I have extensive SS experience with the DNA 200, the Vape Forward chipset and the Dicodes chipset. For those, it's all about the connectivity. If you've got a shaky connection, it ain't gonna work.

With that said, the DNA 60, 75 and 250 are supposed to have different/improved coding to better handle SS temp control. My scant experience with the DNA 75 seems to indicate it's as cranky as ever.

6. Mad Scientist

REFugee

I have extensive electronic engineering, design, manufacturing, fabrication & assembly experience. What ever is going on with the RX200 is within the mods electronics itself. It will not hold an SS build whatever the type without popping into power mode. The program reflash update did not fix it. Also tried various other tanks and RDA's as well.

7. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

Heh. Wasn't calling into question your experience... especially since I don't have an RX200. Just saying that if it's a shaky connection, it just "don't work". Due to the rather shallow curve on SS (as compared to Ti or No) issues are more likely to occur.

I'm in a Reuleaux Facebook group. There's a constant string of posts regarding changing out the 510 and recurring fits and starts about "a wire" that seems to be problematic. I'm sure there are forum posts out there to that extent, so you might be able to find something there.

I've been fortunate. My DNA 200 Reuleaux hasn't given me any issues. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Mad Scientist

REFugee

No worries @Snert I know you weren't. And thanks for the heads up with those possible issues. I was thinking about changing out the 510 in it awhile back, But it was still fairly new at the time and didn't want to take a drill to it.

Would you have a link to that specific thread? I would like to read it over.

9. trlrtrash13

Staff Member

I finally got to trying the other coils. The spare rebuildable coil it comes with is ok, nothing special.

The RBA deck was a bit of a challenge. The coils it comes with are atrocious. Ramp up time is a day and a half. Replaced with standard kanthal build and fixed that but flavor was pretty meh. So, I pulled them and built dual vertical coils with the cotton wrapped around the outside. Now we're cooking with gas.

IMG_20170116_043930_094.jpg

Mad Scientist and Snert like this.
  10. Mad Scientist

REFugee

Nice Steve, I'm not a real fan of chimney builds but that looks like it works very well. I wonder how it would work with a 24Ga. Ti wire? I'll have to give that a try sometime.

11. trlrtrash13

Staff Member

I pulled it out and rebuilt it with 20 gauge wire and a 5mm inner diameter. Same setup though, but it's even better. Very warm vape and a ton of flavor. Tank gets really hot though, but it's not that big of a deal because I'm getting so much nic off of it that I don't hit it quite as often. I might switch it up to 22 gauge on the 5mm bit later and see if that works better, but I'm happy with this for now.

12. Mad Scientist

REFugee

Cool. I'm not much into a warm vape, But it is worth a shot with a heavy Ga. Wire TC build. Enjoy man!

trlrtrash13 likes this.
  13. trlrtrash13

Staff Member

The chimney really does amazing things for the flavor, most likely because of the extra cotton taking up empty space and directing the air through the coils.

14. Mad Scientist

REFugee

I have heard this alot over the years, I'm my experence I couldn't really get them to work like that. The flavor was always lacking. Perhaps another try with a heavy guage Ti will have better results. Glad to hear that it works very well for you (-:

15. trlrtrash13

Staff Member

It depends on the atomizer. If you can't get air to flow directly up the coil it will kill flavor.

16. Mad Scientist

REFugee

Well, I did try the vertical build with the TF-V8 RTA deck and it turned out very well, I was very surprised. I also did try it with the RTA deck for the REAUX, It was somewhat difficult to build the coils the way it needed to be done (24Ga. TI 8/9 wrap type 1 deck 3mm coils), And after some tinkering, Got that one to to work out with verticals. Thanks Steve for mentioning it:)

I should mention the the flavor and vapor production with the both of these is outstanding! I'm running the RX300 in TCR mode of 385, 330F @50 watts. I could go higher, But the flavor starts to drop off.

I got the type 3 deck for the REAUX tank on the way, It should work out the same.

#16 Mad Scientist, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    trlrtrash13 likes this.
  17. Exodus

Exodus The Original Crew
    REFugee

hey everybody,,finally got on

i have both the tf 4 & 8 ,they both like to suck down the juice !!! i really liked the single vertical OEM coil the 8 came with,but not enough to spend 5 bucks for another coil ,,oh well

18. Mad Scientist

REFugee

yes, The coils are pricey for what they are. I keep some on hand to use in a pinch. I prefer to build the RTA deck with Ti and use it in TC mode as it uses less juice and it is easier on the batteries.

19. Exodus

Exodus The Original Crew
    REFugee

all in all,i am not too impressed with either tank .good flavor but at the cost of alot of juice .not a fair trade for me

i am STILL using my cyclone,sometimes i get crazy and throw the derringer on it :D

trlrtrash13 likes this.