1. We are a group of vapers dedicated to all things rebuildable. We have a solid user base of experienced rebuilders who enjoy sharing our knowledge and learning from each other. We have a healthy mix of cloud chasers, flavor chasers, temp control, and kanthal builders. We also have a broad base of knowledge on mods, batteries, and toppers. Please consider joining us and contributing to our community. Whether you are here to teach or to learn, we welcome your participation and look forward to chasing that perfect vape together.

General TC discussion

Discussion in 'Temp Control' started by Snert, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

Wanted to add one more little tidbit. Read somewhere that the lower limit for TC for SS316L is about 0.5Ω. Most of the coils I was wrapping with 26g SS was coming about right out at that lower limit. TC works much better with a spaced coil, so I was coming out consistently on the low end.

Since moving to 28g SS, TC regulation has been much more consistent. No idea how true the limit on the resistance is, but that’s been my experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. vapinitup

vapinitup The Original Crew
    REFugee

Seems I've read somewhere that tc on 316 works best at 1.0Ω max. Don't really know myself, but for me, .85 - 1.0Ω works good for me.

Snert likes this.
  3. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

That's what I shoot for as well. I'm coming out at around 0.7Ω on my average Kayfun build.

4. trlrtrash13

trlrtrash13 The trash of thy trailer.
    Staff Member

The Replay feature doesn't add anything for power mode, right?

5. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

Not really. It’s just easy mode “no dry hits” more than anything. I haven’t used it at more than my usual 15 - 25w, but I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t work at 80w+.

trlrtrash13 likes this.
  6. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

Maybe a little explanation on how I set up and am using Replay is in order.

I have 8 profiles loaded on both of my DNA 75C devices including the standard TC profiles for SS316L, Ti, Ni, NiFe, etc. Profile #8 uses material “Watts” and I have “can use replay” (or something to that effect) enabled. I DON’T have any kind of wire material associated with it, so (as I’ve read) you can use any TC wire with that mode on and use Replay.

To “use” it, all I did was back the power down to 15W or so for my 0.7 ohm build and gradually ramp up the power (vaping along the way) until I found a temp/flavor that I liked. Then I just chose “Save Puff” and away I go.

I did tweak the power after I’d been using it on an “iffy” build and what you would expect happened. The power freaked out a bit and toasted the cotton. After I rebuilt and made very sure that the build was stable (the ohms didn’t fluctuate on a tester while physically strumming/brushing/tapping/etc the build) it’s working like a champ again.

I should mention that I didn’t let the atty cool before I tweaked the power. Anyone that has TC experience will now that resetting a hot atty is... bad. :p

I highly suspect that, like TC, as the build “wears” it’ll get a bit flakey. At least I get a 100% sure sign that either something is wrong with my build or it’s time to rebuild.

I get pretty much the same effect out of Replay as I did out of TC without having to set a particular material/temperature/watts combination. Easy mode.

#66 Snert, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
    trlrtrash13 likes this.
  7. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

Finally got mine built and in service. I had trouble with eliquid in the driptip myself. Since I run TC, my solution was to drop the power from 30w to 23w and temp is now sitting at 400 instead of 420. I get good vapor, by my expectations anyway, good flavor, the right temp and almost not spit back. Though I’d be willing to bet the cooling fins in the stock driptip have something to do with the liquid in the mouthpiece.

Gonna run it as built for a while. Next time I’ll try lower the coil just a bit. Built in a hurry.

8. vapinitup

vapinitup The Original Crew
    REFugee

I just read my previous post. I meant to say instead of going to a little larger dt, I went to a little smaller bore dt.
    Since the previous post, I have rewicked my rayon wick a little tighter, and went from 405f, to 395f. This is now spit back free. :)
    @Snert Have you gotten a Vape Shell for your BB yet? I gotta get one of those to try.

9. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

I didn't even know there was a Vape Shell until you mentioned it. :p

My Billet Box accessory is pretty good at the moment and... honestly... i'm obsessing on the new Evolv technology. I've got plans to pick up a Ginger Vaper DNA Boxer DNA 250C Dual 2X700 mods and possibly their DNA 75C squonker now that Replay is available on the 75C. I hope to cycle back around to Billet Box stuff before Vapings Doomsday (Aug 2018).

vapinitup likes this.
  10. trlrtrash13

trlrtrash13 The trash of thy trailer.
    Staff Member

I never did update my 75C to get replay, but I did get the Paranormal with the 250C, which is basically a 200C because it's dual battery. Irrelevant.

I wanted to test replay, so I busted out the last Nickel coil for my Zypherus. Long story short. I played around in standard Tc mode and found a good vape. Then, I changed batteries and hit replay mode. Literally, 3 adjustments later I hit replay and just vaped. Spot on.

I was surprised by the results. Understand, it's not a better vape than TC. It's just a quicker means to the end. Now remember, I'm not a tc guy, but as far as replay goes it's an improvement.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled wattage.

Snert and Yankifenix like this.
  11. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

I think that was Evolv's goal with Replay... easier TC. They did a survey and found that a ridiculously low percentage of Evolv board owners actually used TC (seems like it was under 20%, but don't quote me on that).

I'll have to say that after years of fiddling with the whole Power/Temperature/Resistance triangle that Replay is a welcome advance.

trlrtrash13 likes this.