1. We are a group of vapers dedicated to all things rebuildable. We have a solid user base of experienced rebuilders who enjoy sharing our knowledge and learning from each other. We have a healthy mix of cloud chasers, flavor chasers, temp control, and kanthal builders. We also have a broad base of knowledge on mods, batteries, and toppers. Please consider joining us and contributing to our community. Whether you are here to teach or to learn, we welcome your participation and look forward to chasing that perfect vape together.

General TC discussion

Discussion in 'Temp Control' started by Snert, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

Figured I'd start a thread to discuss general TC experiences (wire, wicking, atty, tanks, etc) that aren't tied to a particular mod.

I've been vaping on a dual coil 0.5mm Sweet Spot Vapor Ti wire built in my Velocity Mini clone. SO much better than Ni200 was. As I've mentioned before, and it may be psychosomatic, but I've noted a "metallic" taste flavor using Ni200 wire. I don't notice any change in the flavor with the SSV Ti wire.

So, with success using a dripper I figured I'd try a tank. I don't have much for tanks... just a Kanger Subtank mini and a Smok VCT. The VCT doesn't have a rebuildable deck, so that left me with the Subtank mini.

I tried, and gave up. Apparently the rebuildable deck on the Subtank isn't conducive to TC. I first tried a compressed coil. I wicked it up, added juice and popped the coil on the 2nd test fire. So I then tried a spread coil and had no luck there either. The DNA 200 wouldn't stay in TC mode. I'm not gonna risk making Ti Oxide and breathing that into my lungs. The DNA 200 exhibits the same symptoms the DNA 40 did for an atty with poor conductivity.

Gonna see about borrowing a Crown tank and play with that a bit. I'm gonna start with the SS prebuilt coils and maybe try the rebuildable deck later.

Yankifenix and trlrtrash13 like this.
  2. Exodus

Exodus The Original Crew
    REFugee

I did try a Nicol in my kanger sub tank mini,i was not too impressed with it

had to dig out all the cotton from the juice holes in the head just to get it to wick some what decently

Yankifenix and Snert like this.
  3. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

I got my hands on a Uwell Crown to play with on the Reuleaux DNA 200. I've been squonking Cutwood Bird Brains quite a bit recently, so I thought I'd use that juice in my trial run with TC in the Crown.

It's been a really odd experience. Since I've never vaped a Crown in power mode, I don't know what's "normal" or not about it. I haven't gotten things dialed in yet either. At one point I was up at 90w/500° and I'm currently at 35w/420°.

Anyway... despite reports that the Crown heads have SS wire but Ni200 legs welded on (I haven't torn a head down to confirm/debunk this), they seem to play well with TC. I haven't done any kind of a cotton/dry-burn test since I don't have any extra coils to play with. 500° is definitely warmer than 420°.

Either myself or @Yankifenix will see what Escribe's Atomizer Analyzer thinks of the rebuild deck for the Crown.

#3 Snert, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    Yankifenix and trlrtrash13 like this.
  4. Yankifenix

Yankifenix The Original Crew
    REFugee

Last night I broke out the RBA deck for my crown that I got from @debinnv when I acquired a second Crown from her. @Snert has had the crown on his Reuleaux, and from the conversations I have had with him he is liking it.

So I wrapped a 26g SS coil last night to .52 ohms on my 2.5mm Kuro and set it all up with Lemonem by Beantown Vapors. I am vaping it at 45w/350°. The flavor is better than I have ever had from this juice. Once I got the sweet spot on TC I was blown away. I am in love with TC now and don't know how I ever vaped before I got into TC. SS wire is now my go to wire. I might do Kanthal every now and then, but I am now finding that Kanger is making premade coils for the subtank in SS as well.

I have an order I will be placing with Eciggity.com that has the SS kanger coils in it. For those looking to order with them use this link http://i.refs.cc/arE9GKUN to get 10% off your first order. That link is my refer a friend link and will get me points. If you use code holiday20, before 12/17/2015, you can get 20% off. Not sure if you can use both at the same time, but never hurts to try

debinnv and trlrtrash13 like this.
  5. trlrtrash13

trlrtrash13 The trash of thy trailer.
    Staff Member

I ordered a spool if SS wire. I'll have to give it a shot once I get my DNA mod.
    TT

Yankifenix likes this.
  6. Exodus

Exodus The Original Crew
    REFugee

well i finally ordered my DNA diy kit last night ,doubt i will be trying the TC route again though ??

Yankifenix likes this.
  7. debinnv

debinnv The Original Crew
    REFugee

I am only doing the stainless steel wire at the moment. I stick around 0.4 or 5 mostly. 35 watts or so 420F to 480F I play around with it a bit as different juices all need it a bit different.

Yankifenix likes this.
  8. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

Looks like there's a lot of SS user (and I use Ti from time to time) so I thought I'd add this new-ish page from Steam Engine...

http://www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.asp

If you're running a DNA 200, you can use this page to get a fairly wide variety of wire CSV files to install into one of the DNA 200's 8 "profiles" using Escribe. I got custom CSV from Sweet Spot Vapor for their 0.4mm and 0.5mm Ti wire, but I use the CSVs from Steam Engine for my SS 316L and will be using the SS 304 to try to get the Crown factory heads to regulate more regularly.

The thing I found really neat about this though is the "Temperature control results" section has an "Equivalent" link. What that allows you to do is use TC wire on a mod not "intended" to use that TC wire.

I've got a couple of GDNA squonkers that are DNA 40 based. The DNA 40 only natively supports Ni200 wire. I have used Ti on it before because I "read some obscure post on some obscure forum somewhere where it works for this one dude". Not really definitive. With the Equivalent link, I can set up a coil with SS 316L wire and get the mathematically equivalent temperature I should run said coil at on a Ni200 mod (in this case, my DNA 40s). Now that's no guarantee that it's going to work as well as the same setup on a mod setup to handle SS, but it at least gives me a shot at it.

So if you have a device that only supports Ti and Ni (like the IPV4s), you could potentially use SS (or Resisterm or Titanium 2, etc) on it using the temperature offset for your particular build. I'm gonna try this over the weekend with my standard GDNA/Veritas setup, and I'll share my experience.

trlrtrash13 and Yankifenix like this.
  9. Yankifenix

REFugee

i would be interested to hear these results @Snert

10. trlrtrash13

Staff Member

Excellent find @Snert . Speaking of, I need to setup my LowPro for the SteamCrave squonker with some ni200. This almost tempted me to use the SS wire but I think I'll hold off and try that later.

Snert likes this.
  11. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

Ni200 is really soft and a little frustrating to work with. I much prefer Ti and SS to work.

Is the SteamCrave Squonker Ni only for TC?

12. trlrtrash13

Staff Member

I believe so. I've never actually used that part. I've only cussed it and kicked my mod out of it so far.

13. trlrtrash13

Staff Member

TC is proof that the devil hates us and wants us to get cancer. I put a nickle build in my dripper. First ever. Dual coil, .05 ohms. Mod didn't like it. Went to single coil .1 ohm. Mod liked it, I didn't. 20 watts is as high as I could go before hitting cutoff. So I played with it... and played with it... and played with it. After about 20 mins of coil molestation I had something that wasn't horrible. 600 degrees 60 watts .1 ohm and a very lame, flat, lifeless vape. It's probably my build. It looks good, spaced coil, pretty even after lengthy fidgeting. Seems to be creating vapor pretty evenly across the coil. It's just boring. I might play with it again later on something else, but it was pretty much like every other ni200 vape I have tried other than the Zephyrus coils. Meh. I think TC just isn't really my bag.

14. Exodus

Exodus The Original Crew
    REFugee

yea i really hated Ni wire ,gonna give SS a shot but i still prefer ol plain jane nichrome

trlrtrash13 likes this.
  15. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

Yeah, I hates me some Ni200 wire. Ti and SS are much easier to work with.

As far as making a spaced coil, I just wind it like a Kanthal coil on my Kuro and then stretch it a bit. Since you don't have to be as precise for TC with your resistance, I generally shoot for whatever coil takes up the space between the posts (so the leads are as straight as possible) while keeping the wraps fairly close together.

I'm not 100% sold on TC myself. I still have a bunch of Kanthal coiled mods around that I usually vape while I'm fiddling with the TC coils. :p

16. trlrtrash13

Staff Member

I didn't find the Ni hard to work with, it's just hard to get a good vape with it.

17. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

Ok, so I finally found the time to experiment with the Steam Engine wire wizard and the DNA 40. Didn't go so well.

I tried an SS build in a Veritas on the Stout in SS TC and that didn't go so hot. Despite my experience in eliminating hot leg issues with the Veritas single horizontal build using Kanthal, I couldn't manage it with SS. So I hauled out a BF converted Manta and gave that a go.

The Wire Wizard gave me an offset of 150 degrees for my build which the DNA 40 just won't do (minimum 250F). The vape was hot and the mod wouldn't reliably stay in TC mode.

I've had success with Ti builds in the past, so I'll give that a try later. So far, it looks like SS is a no-go since its TCR curve is so shallow compared to Ni200... at least on the DNA 40 anyway.

18. trlrtrash13

Staff Member

Is SS safe to use out of TC mode? Anyone know?
    TT

19. Yankifenix

REFugee

I used it out of TC mode before I got my tc mod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trlrtrash13 likes this.
  20. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

My personal take is that I'd use SS in power mode for a tank, but not for a dripper. Odds are good you're going to refill a tank before it gets dry where you might not notice as reliably on a dripper. Now, you're probably not going to glow the coil even on a dry dripper but I'm the paranoid type. :p

From what I've read, any TC capable wire will have some metal that it's "not good" to overheat (nickel, chrome, titanium etc). The less of it there is, the less troublesome the wire can be for nastiness but the less TC controllable the wire will be. Ni200 is the "ideal" wire as the resistance change is substantial over the average TC range.

SS 316L has less nickel in it (but has some) than Ni200. As a result, it's TC curve is much shallower than Ni200 and some TC mods either won't control it or won't control it well.

I had that experience with the DNA 40 over the weekend.