1. We are a group of vapers dedicated to all things rebuildable. We have a solid user base of experienced rebuilders who enjoy sharing our knowledge and learning from each other. We have a healthy mix of cloud chasers, flavor chasers, temp control, and kanthal builders. We also have a broad base of knowledge on mods, batteries, and toppers. Please consider joining us and contributing to our community. Whether you are here to teach or to learn, we welcome your participation and look forward to chasing that perfect vape together.

DIY tobacco flavors

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by vapinitup, May 13, 2016.

1. vapinitup

vapinitup The Original Crew
    REFugee

2. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

I'm finally getting my butt in gear and doing some mixing. Made myself some lower nic 50/50 base to make for easier experimentation.

I'm wanting to start with simpler recipes, so I have a few questions about the 3rd recipe in the previous post...
    1) How would you describe that recipes flavor? How sweet does the RY4 make it?
    2) Where do you get your Hangsen flavors?
    3) How long of a steeping time do you recommend?

One last, opinion type, question...

From what I've been reading lately eliquids only get a 90 day PMTA grace period instead of the full 24 months that hardware gets. Will that, in your opinion, effect only mixed eliquids or are you concerned about flavor components (especially ones labeled as "tobacco")?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

debinnv likes this.
  3. vapinitup

REFugee

Hey @Snert , I gotta get on the ball myself. I have a few empty bottles sitting on the counter to fill for the wife and I, and also the DIL, gotta get myself in the mood today.
    Not sure I'm gonna be much help to you in describing the flavor, as I'm just not good at that. I either like it or I don't. I will say that the USA Red, RY4 in that recipe is not that sweet to my taste, which I think is pretty whacked. It is a mild taste to me. It has been long enough since I tried the Red by itself, that I can't comment on it. I don't know what affect your pg/vg %'s, and the watts/ temps you vape at will change the flavor over what I'm getting.
    I get my Hangsen's mostly from Bull City Vapor, but have ordered some from RTS Vapes. BCV is cheaper, and RTS has more stock usually. RTS re bottles in clear glass which is probably why they are a little higher priced.
    For steeping time, I "fast" steep in a beaker, that has all the ingredients, on a heating plate for coffee cups, for about 20 minutes, mixing well a couple times with a milk frother. Then I let sit for a couple weeks shaking occasionally. It's pretty vapeable at that point. When I start using that bottle, I make another which will probably sit for about a month before I get to it. So going like that after the first bottle, I'm vaping about a 1 month steeped juice.
    As for your last question, I have no friggin idea. The FDA's regs are just too confusing for this ole brain to figure out, plus there is the local gov'ts actions going on that may complicate it further.
    I hope there is something in here that helps you. Good luck, and have fun with the DIY. :)

PS: I'm stocking up pretty good on flavors, just in case.

Snert likes this.
  4. Exodus

Exodus The Original Crew
    REFugee

i 2nd bull city for hangsen,but i sta away from rts ,i once vaped a 1\2 bottle of straight ry4 from rts before i remembered it was "concentrate " ymmv

Snert likes this.
  5. vapinitup

REFugee

I've read reports of others saying that RTS has watered down the HS, but so far, I've been satisfied. The main reason I've bought flavors there is because I've had a bunch of reward points to use up. Mainly I go there, or WL for Nic.

6. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

Finally got a slew of flavors ordered from Bull City. I'll be trying some of these recipes in the near future. :)

vapinitup and trlrtrash13 like this.
  7. vapinitup

REFugee

If you got some HS Vanilla, and you'd like a good vanilla vape, this is good.
    HS Vanilla.jpg

trlrtrash13 likes this.
  8. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

I ordered...

DK Tobacco II-TFA - 30ml (No ethyl alcohol)
    Black Cherry-TFA - 30ml

Those two are for a juice that I've already had some success with. Been vaping it after a 2 week steep for almost a week now. At first I felt like there was something... missing. Then I talked to Omo and she recommended I cut the Black Cherry, which I did for a 2nd batch. It's pretty tasty now. Gonna mix 120ml of that one.

The rest...

Black Fire-FA - 10ml
    Honey-FA - 10ml
    Virginia-FA - 10ml
    Red USA Mix-HS - 10ml
    Desert Ship-HS - 10ml
    RY4-HS - 10ml
    Vanilla-HS - 10ml

It's pretty obvious by the list what I'm planning to mix with these. ;)

Thanks for the recipes @vapinitup. :2tu:

I'm particularly looking forward to the recipe with the Black Fire, Honey and Virginia.

vapinitup likes this.
  9. vapinitup

REFugee

With the Black Fire, Honey, and Virginia mix, if you sniff your dt, the smell is reminiscent of dirty ash tray. LOL. But I do like it, and of course adjust to your own taste.
    Let me know what you think when you've tried it.

Snert likes this.
  10. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

That's one of the reasons I'm interested in this recipe. The wife still burns through a pack a day. Makes it tough on a "reformed smoker". :confused:

vapinitup likes this.
  11. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

@vapinitup, I mixed up a test 20ml of the Holy Smoke Tobacco. It got 30 minutes in a warm bath. What's the minimum time I steep it before vaping?

12. vapinitup

REFugee

@Snert I'd say a week. I've vaped it right after mixing, and it was ok, so give it a try now and see how it taste to you. When I mix my juices they get a warm bath, and then mixed really well with a milk frother. Once I get going on a juice, I have a 30ml bottle in use and one waiting in the wings that gets a chance to sit for awhile.

Mad Scientist and Snert like this.
  13. debinnv

debinnv The Original Crew
    REFugee

I love black fire. I also really like oakwood. I do a mix of 7 leaves 2%... cuban supreme 1%.... black fire 2% .....oakwood 1%.....peppermint 1% and MTS vape wizard 1% I use the MTS with any tobacco blend as it cuts the harsh out of it to me.

Mad Scientist, vapinitup and Snert like this.
  14. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

Today marks the 1-week steep point. I'll crack out the Holy Smoke this evening.

vapinitup likes this.
  15. vapinitup

REFugee

Hmmm, oakwood, sounds interesting, who makes that? Is Cuban Supreme a Hangsen flavor?

Snert likes this.
  16. vapinitup

REFugee

Ok, I see that Oakwood is FA. I added it to my list for my next flavor order.

debinnv likes this.
  17. debinnv

debinnv The Original Crew
    REFugee

They are both FA flavors. The oakwood gives a slightly sweet flavor but it's very slight. Or at least to me it is. I use 3 places now for flavors. BCV, heartland and mostly as of late ecigexpress. I bought a bottle of vaperstek nic and while it is very good I don't see a big difference between that and Heartlands Nic and the Heartlands is pretty darn good price. Heartland also has a few flavors I like that the others don't carry. It is their own and Tigersblood is one.

Mad Scientist and vapinitup like this.
  18. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

Finally got an atty cleaned out, rebuilt and converted. I do like this recipe. It's reminiscent of MVJ Peach Honey Tobacco (without the peach of course).

Gonna make me up a 120ml bottle of this and move on to the next. Thinking the recipe with the Desert Ship is next.

So, we know nic is going up and about to be under the FDAs thumb... What's the prevailing thought on flavors? Don't see how the FDA can go after peach, or bubble gum or any "food" flavor like that, but I'm a bit leery of what they'll do to Tobacco flavors. Can't ever recall seeing/buying a "Virginia tobacco" flavored roll of hard candies.

Mad Scientist and vapinitup like this.
  19. vapinitup

REFugee

Glad you like it. I always wondered what someone else would think of it.
    I honestly don't know what's going to happen to flavors, especially tobacco. I figure tho that we will have awhile before anything does happen, at least I hope so.

Snert likes this.
  20. trlrtrash13

trlrtrash13 The trash of thy trailer.
    Staff Member

Food grade flavorings have always been regulated by the FDA. As long as they contain approved ingredients, I don't think there is much they can do.

Snert likes this.