1. We are a group of vapers dedicated to all things rebuildable. We have a solid user base of experienced rebuilders who enjoy sharing our knowledge and learning from each other. We have a healthy mix of cloud chasers, flavor chasers, temp control, and kanthal builders. We also have a broad base of knowledge on mods, batteries, and toppers. Please consider joining us and contributing to our community. Whether you are here to teach or to learn, we welcome your participation and look forward to chasing that perfect vape together.

Arctic Fox firmware

Discussion in 'Temp Control' started by Snert, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

Ever wanted a DNA based mod for the features (hot start, profile, material curves, etc) but didn’t wanna pony up the $$? Do you own a fairly modern Wismec, Eleaf or Joyetech mod? Do terms like “side-load” and “jail-break” send a thrill up your leg like a certain president did for a certain news anchor? Then the Arctic Fox firmware may be the answer to a question you never knew you had.

I’m down a TC mod or two for various reasons and was looking into another TC mod to buy while I’m awaiting potential repairs to my DNA 250/166 Boxer. Nothing was really appealing to me but I saw a mention of “Arctic Fox firmware” on a forum. A little further research yielded this...

https://nfeteam.org/

If you have one of the folllowing devices, you too could have a mod advanced beyond its as-sold configuration.

Joyetech:
    VTC Mini, VTC Dual, VTwo Mini, VTwo, AIO, Basic;
    Primo, Primo 2.0, Primo Mini, Primo Mini SE;
    eGrip II / Light;
    Cuboid, Cuboid Mini, Cuboid 200;

Wismec:
    Presa TC75W, Presa TC100W;
    RX75, RX200, RX200S, RX300, RX2/3, RXmini, RX GEN3, Predator;
    Sinuous P80;

Eleaf:
    iStick TC100W, iStick TC200W, iStick QC 200W, iStick Power 80W;
    Pico 75W, Pico Mega, Pico Dual, Pico RDTA, Pico 25;
    Aster;

Co-branding:
    Vaporflask: Classic, Lite, Stout;
    Beyondvape Centurion;
    La Petite Box;
    Vapor Shark SwitchBox RX;

This intrigued me, so I called @Yankifenix since I knew he had, at the very least, a Cuboid. Less than 24 hours later, he stopped in at my place with a Cuboid running Arctic Fox. I’ve dropped a couple of different TC built attys on the unit and found that they vaped a ton better than they did on my other Chinese chip based TC mods.

I’m putting an order in next week for a Cuboid of my own (which I probably never would have bought otherwise) to put a fresh install of the Arctic Fox firmware on. I’m picking the Cuboid due to the fact it has an RTC (real-time clock) chip, a large display and a dual battery configuration.

Plus, if you don’t like it, you can flash back to the production firmware. If you’re not afraid of open source firmware, it might be worth giving it a shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#1 Snert, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    trlrtrash13, debinnv and Yankifenix like this.
  2. Yankifenix

Yankifenix The Original Crew
    REFugee

Like @Snert said I do have a cuboid, but I also have a predator. I installed the software after talking to him and ran them both last night and found them to be much better performing than the defaults. I will be definitely be considering another mod that has the larger display as to really maximize this you really do need the larger display. So I will be either getting another predator, the rx200s, or the rxgen3. If you have any of the ones Snert listed I highly suggest you get this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snert likes this.
  3. Exodus

Exodus The Original Crew
    REFugee

does this firmware work on the wisemex RX2\3 by jaybo ?? id be down to try it out if it does

Snert and Yankifenix like this.
  4. Yankifenix

Yankifenix The Original Crew
    REFugee

I don't have that mod but from what I've read it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exodus and Snert like this.
  5. Exodus

Exodus The Original Crew
    REFugee

well i'll be back in Alaska in about a weeks time,so i'll give it a shot then

Yankifenix likes this.
  6. debinnv

debinnv The Original Crew
    REFugee

Interesting I have 5 of those mods listed. Might give this a try. Mods have been sitting in their boxes so guess I will dig them out. I have serious issues with mod hoarding I guess lol

Mad Scientist likes this.
  7. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

I know that feeling. Though a lot of the mods I’ve hoarded don’t fit my current mood. :p

8. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

Well, just for sh*ts and grins I put Arctic Fox on one of my VF Stouts. Doesn’t have the big display that the Cuboid or the Predator has but it’s still a HUGE improvement. I have 10% or so preheat in it and the 316L TFR curve from the distro. Vapes very very nice.

Since Steam Engine now has a Zirconium material curve and Arctic Fox supports them, I’ll be firing up a Zirconium built atty in the near future.

If you have a little patience and the desire to tweak, Arctic Fox is a fun little distraction. And the mods I’ve put it on vape nice too. :)

Exodus likes this.
  9. Snert

Snert Administrator
    Staff Member REFugee

Well, I've run into my first "bump in the road" with Arctic Fox. Apparently, Arctic Fox and my mainstay Cubis tanks don't play well together. Neither my Cubioid nor my upgrade VF Stout will regulate a Cubis for any amount of time. I get about 3 good pulls out of it and then it immediately temperature protects when firing.

I haven't hauled out the device monitor to troubleshoot the issue nor played with the variants for TC that Arctic Fox has to offer, but I've observed that as the body of the tank heats up the vapor production drops precipitously.

Next week is lining up to be the week from hell, so it'll be after that before I can research the issue further.

10. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist The Original Crew
    REFugee

Sorry to hear that, Been using AF for a long while now with no issues. I'd be curious to see what you find out.

Snert likes this.
  11. Mad Scientist

REFugee

Yes it does, Just keep it up to date.

I should mention that with the 300 if the 510 comes loose it WILL cause issues. I pressed the one i have out and directly threaded a 22mm Varitube 510 in it. Been using it with the S.C. A.Plus for a long time with no issues:)

12. Exodus

Exodus The Original Crew
    REFugee

?? huh ??

13. Mad Scientist

REFugee

Sorry I added a little to much.
    It will work with the 2/3.